4. Alternative Tunings - In 1936 the Arnerican Standards Association recommended that the A above
middle C be tuned to 440 Hz. This standard was taken up by the International Organization for Standardization
in 1955. Although not universally accepted, since then it has served as the audio frequency reference for the
calibration of acoustic equipment and the tuning of pianos, violins, and other musical instruments. There are,
however, several alternative tunings still in use or of interest to people. V4 features the following alternative
tunings which can be selected 442, 432 (Verdi tuning) and 444. This will be a PRO only feature.
5. Limiter - V4 contains a built-in limiter that prevents highly compressed files from clipping on playback or
after key/tempo change. This new feature is found in both Standard and Pro
6. Speed Trainer - V4 contains a new speed trainer functionality that allows users to set a beginning speed,
an ending speed, and an incremental increase %. Once set, Song Surgeon will play back the looping area and
gradually increase (or decrease) the playback speed according to the parameters selected. This is a new feature found in both the Standard and Pro versions.
7. Progress Indicator - V4 allows users to grab the white progress indicator in the wav form field with the
mouse and slide it. This is a modification found in both Standard and Pro.
8. Markers - V4 has been modified so that on mouse over, markers display a temporary white vertical line that
extend down through the wav data to allow more precise positioning.
The ability to edit the font size of these markers was also added. This is a modification found in both Standard and Pro.
9. Loop Points - V4 allows users to set a beginning loop within .01 of a second of an ending looping point;
previously the minimum distance between these was .1 sec. This allows users to have the end of one looping
area and the beginning of another in virtually the same location. This is a modification found in both Standard and
10. Zooming - Several changes have been made to the zooming functionality. V4 allows users to zoom in to
a smaller time increment (.5 seconds) found in V3. It also allows zooming out to 200% of the entire song. Lastly
changes were made to remove and minimize the repositioning of the wave form data within the screen when
zooming in and out. This is a modification found in both Standard and Pro.
11. Open More SS Windows - Additional menu options have been provided to open more than 1 wave SS
window at a time. This is a modification found in both Standard and Pro.
12. Close command - A close command has been added to allow users to close the currently open song or
audio file without completely closing the entire program. This is a modification found in both Standard and Pro.
13. Export Count - This new feature allows users to create, on export, multiple copies of the item being
exported and place them back to back. For example, if you have a practice riff that you have slowed to 50%,
and you export it, you will create a new file that will play through once at 50%. This new feature enables you to
specify the number of iterations of this file that you would like to place in the exported file. If you choose 5
in the above example, this 50% riff would place 5 copies back-to-back, so on playback the file would play as if it
were looping 5 times. This is a modification found in both Standard and Pro.
14. Portable Project File - V4 has the ability to export a file as a Song Surgeon Portable Project file. This
file is transferable between machine on which Song Surgeon is installed and can be opened and modified. This will be a PRO only feature.
15. Loop Bypass - This new feature allows users, with the click of a mouse, to turn the loop controls on or
off. When off, the open file ignores the loops that have been created and place back as they don't exist.
This is a modification found in both Standard and Pro.
16. Undo/Redo - We have added zooming in and out as a parameter that can be accessed and controlled by
the undo/redo buttons. This is a modification found in both Standard and Pro.
17. Options Button - Additional controls have been added to this options button that give you more global
control over how Song Surgeon operates. This is a modification found in both Standard and Pro.
18. Export - The Vocal reduction and EQ settings applied to a file/project will now also be applied to a new
file created on Export. This is a feature found in both Pro and Standard.
19. Editing - We have made multiple changes to the editing features found in Song Surgeon. Here is a brief
list: a) It is no longer necessary to open 2 files to cut and paste. V4 allows you to paste directly into an open blank
SS window. b)A feature that enables songs/segments with different frequencies and or bit depths to be pasted
into the same file has been added. c) When part of a file is cut or deleted, the progress indicator is automatically
repositioned at exactly the location of where this cut was made. The precise location of this cut point enables easy
further adjustments of the beginning cut point if it was not accurately positioned the first time. The ability to mix down, create stereo from a mono track and to select data from either channel independently are also new features. This will be a PRO only feature.
20. Batch File Conversion - Batch conversion allows you to select any number of audio files on your
computer and then to specify an output format for converting. The converter will convert all specified files,
whether 5 or 500, to this new format automatically with the click of a button.This will be a PRO only feature.
21. Formant Preservation - Also known as the munchkin effect, Version 4 will allow users to apply this
preservation to files when changing keys, thus stopping the chipmunk or munchkin effect that occurs when key
changes are applied to vocals. This will be a PRO only feature.